I think what influences teachers and students to use technology is it can sometimes be a beneficial tool to explain and learn things in certain ways that can be better understood. For example, showing videos in class can sometimes help a student better understand a concept visually, rather than having a teacher just lecture or prepare a PowerPoint about it. For instance, when you showed the interactive CPR English video about Jake and the class had to figure out how to save him and keep him alive, I think that was a better learning tool rather than if you just told us the steps to CPR and what to do if we see something who is not breathing.
One ISTE standard that is meaningful to me is the student standard that promotes creativity and innovation. As a student, whether it was in lower school or high school, I always felt I was learning best when I could be creative. Even if the assignment gave me specific guidelines, I felt I was getting the most out of it when I had the freedom to be creative and innovative in my own way. It gave me the chance to express myself and make the assignment my own, even when every other kid in my class was working on the same thing. I also feel like if a student is applying their own innovations, it will truly help them learn better and get more takeaway from the assignment or project or whatever the case may be. One standard that seems outside my current skill set is the standard for teachers about developing digital age assignments. Personally, I just do not know how I would begin to create an assignment let alone one as advanced that is ready for the digital age.
I definitely agree with the label "digital natives" for today's youth. I think digital natives means being very proficient and comfortable in the technology of today. Today's students grow up in a society where most likely their first cell phone is a smart phone and their classrooms are rapidly developing to fit in to the digital age. I have also definitely seen distinct adversities that can come up in the classroom between being a digital native and a teacher who is a digital immigrant. It can be very frustrating watching a teacher struggle through something using technology that I would consider very basic. You do not want to come across condescending or rude if you want to help them but often times that is how it appears. I hope I will be more advanced in technology when I am a teacher and I can keep up with the digital age and will not look like a fool in front of my students, but there will still be generational gaps so you never know.
One ISTE standard that is meaningful to me is the student standard that promotes creativity and innovation. As a student, whether it was in lower school or high school, I always felt I was learning best when I could be creative. Even if the assignment gave me specific guidelines, I felt I was getting the most out of it when I had the freedom to be creative and innovative in my own way. It gave me the chance to express myself and make the assignment my own, even when every other kid in my class was working on the same thing. I also feel like if a student is applying their own innovations, it will truly help them learn better and get more takeaway from the assignment or project or whatever the case may be. One standard that seems outside my current skill set is the standard for teachers about developing digital age assignments. Personally, I just do not know how I would begin to create an assignment let alone one as advanced that is ready for the digital age.
I definitely agree with the label "digital natives" for today's youth. I think digital natives means being very proficient and comfortable in the technology of today. Today's students grow up in a society where most likely their first cell phone is a smart phone and their classrooms are rapidly developing to fit in to the digital age. I have also definitely seen distinct adversities that can come up in the classroom between being a digital native and a teacher who is a digital immigrant. It can be very frustrating watching a teacher struggle through something using technology that I would consider very basic. You do not want to come across condescending or rude if you want to help them but often times that is how it appears. I hope I will be more advanced in technology when I am a teacher and I can keep up with the digital age and will not look like a fool in front of my students, but there will still be generational gaps so you never know.
Comments
Post a Comment