Skip to main content

My Technology Experience

I went to the same school from Kindergarten to 12th grade and pretty much since Kindergarten we were required to take a computer class until we graduated. My school, Lake Highland Prep, wanted us to be very educated in technology and making sure we knew how to use computers and programs from young ages to our teenage years. By my freshman year, Lake Highland had implemented the "iPad Initiative," and required all high school students to own an iPad that each student would use in their classes. It was beneficial for the teachers to use apps that could connect to their Smart Boards and our iPads and the students would be more engaged and more tech savvy as the years went on. Aside from using technology in school, I've been using computers from a very young age at home too. Then growing up I have had iPhones, iPads, and laptops as technology advanced. I am equally equipped in both Mac and PC since I have both operating systems growing up and had to learn on both.

What I hope to learn from this class is how to implement technology better in a classroom as a teacher. Since technology is rapidly evolving, I think some people get the idea that technology should be used in classrooms at all times, but personally I believe there should be a balance between technology and non-technology learning. I respect the use of technology and know it can be a very helpful learning tool (heck, I have used it all my life), however I also believe teacher to student interaction + paper and pencil learning is just as effective in some instances and learning how to use both wisely and effectively is what I am hoping to get out of this class. I also hope that what we learn technology wise isn't too dated, so that when we take what we learn to the classroom we won't already be behind. 

Comments

  1. Wow! What a great experience!

    In addition, I totally agree with you that teacher-student interaction and paper/ pencil is also effective in a lot of circumstances. That is the reason why there is no dated technology, there is unsuitable technology. Maybe we are learning the most advanced rocket-science technology, but if it is not suitable for the learning objectives, it is useless.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ILP "Design" - Prezi

https://prezi.com/view/k7NxZ8mLo9wmhSx0gpKy/ Created a Prezi presentation that highlights two educational/learning applications that can be used in any classroom for any grade. Outlined kahoot!, a quiz game app/website, and Notability, a versatile note-taking application that is designed for iPad, iPhone, or Mac.

Journal 1

     I think what influences teachers and students to use technology is it can sometimes be a beneficial tool to explain and learn things in certain ways that can be better understood. For example, showing videos in class can sometimes help a student better understand a concept visually, rather than having a teacher just lecture or prepare a PowerPoint about it. For instance, when you showed the interactive CPR English video about Jake and the class had to figure out how to save him and keep him alive, I think that was a better learning tool rather than if you just told us the steps to CPR and what to do if we see something who is not breathing.      One ISTE standard that is meaningful to me is the student standard that promotes creativity and innovation. As a student, whether it was in lower school or high school, I always felt I was learning best when I could be creative. Even if the assignment gave me specific guidelines, I felt I was getting the most ...